55 Great Debate Topics For Any Project: Debate is a formal discussion on a particular matter in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward and which usually ends with a vote.
A lot of students take part in debate classes in high school in order to develop their skills in speaking. Debate is a way to learn how to organize and deliver your arguments. The skills you acquire as a debater will assist you in anything from an application to an interview for a job application.
Deciding on debate topics is among the most crucial elements of debate. We’ll discuss how to choose a great debate topic. We’ll also give some ideas on debate topics to consider.
A great debate topic is one that lets audience and participants understand both sides of the topic. Take into consideration the following aspects when selecting a debate subject:
Interest: Do you have an interest in the topic? Do you think the topic would be appealing to your peers and those who are watching the debate? Picking a topic you’re interested in will make the process of preparing for the debate more interesting and the debate becoming more exciting.
Argument Potential: You need to select a topic for debate with a solid argument. If only one side is correct, or there’s not a lot of information available, you’ll have a tough creating a compelling debate.
Availability of Data: The availability of data points can make an argument more solid. You should choose an area with plenty of evidence that you can draw from to support your argument.
Since we now know how to pick the right debate subject, let’s look at some great debate topics. If you’re in search of your next debate subject, here are some ideas.
Education Debate Topics
- Homework should be banned.
- Public prayer should not be allowed in schools.
- All students should have an after-school job or internship.
- School should be in session year-round.
- All student loan debt should be eliminated.
- Homeschooling is better than traditional schooling.
- All schools should have armed security guards.
- Religion should be taught in schools.
- All high school athletes should be drug tested.
- Public college should be tuition free.
- All teachers should get tenure.
- All school districts should offer school vouchers.
- Detention should be abolished.
- Schools should block sites like YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram on their computers.
- School uniforms should be required.
- Standardized testing should be abolished.
- All schools should be private schools.
- All students should go to boarding schools.
- Sexual education should be mandatory in schools.
Social and Political Issues Debate Topics
- Abortion should be banned.
- Every citizen should be mandated to perform national public service.
- Bottled water should be banned.
- Plastic bags should be banned.
- All people should have the right to own guns.
- The death penalty should be abolished.
- Human cloning should be legalized.
- All drugs should be legalized.
- The minimum wage should be $15 per hour.
- All people should have Universal Basic Income.
- Sex work should be legal.
- Countries should be isolationist.
- Animal testing should be banned.
- Juveniles should be tried and treated as adults.
- Climate change is the greatest threat facing humanity today.
- Violent video games should be banned.
Technology Debate Topics
- Net neutrality should be restored.
- Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies should be encouraged or banned.
- Social media has improved human communication.
- The development of artificial intelligence will help humanity.
- Individuals should own their own DNA.
- Alternative energy can effectively replace fossil fuels.
- Cell phone radiation is dangerous and should be limited.
- Humans should invest in technology to explore and colonize other planets.
- Governments should invest in alternative energy sources.
Health Debate Topics
- Sexual orientation is determined at birth.
- The sale of human organs should be legalized.
- Birth control should be for sale over the counter.
- Healthcare should be universal.
- Cosmetic procedures should be covered by health insurance.
- All people should be vegetarians.
- Smoking should be banned in all public places.
- People should be legally required to get vaccines.
- Obesity should be labeled a disease.
- Euthanasia should be banned.
- The drinking age should be 18.
- Vaping should be banned.
How to Prepare for a Debate
After you’ve decided on the topic for your debate, the next step is to get ready for your debate. Follow these steps to get prepared for your debate.
Read Your Evidence
The first step to improving your confidence in debate is to be familiar with the evidence that is available. You’ll need to pick reliable sources and utilize empirical data efficiently.
The more knowledgeable about your subject and the more well-read you are, the better in a position to defend your viewpoint and anticipate your opponent’s arguments.
Anticipate the Other Side’s Arguments
As part of your debate, it is necessary to counter your opponent’s arguments. It is important to plan in advance to know what they’ll be discussing. You’ll be able to strengthen your argument by being able to take down what the opposition is declaring.
Plan to Fill Your Speech Time
Each participant in the debate is restricted to a specific duration. Make sure you use every second that you’re allowed. Practice your speaking points to ensure that you’re aware of the allotted time. If you’re running short, you can add more proof.
Practice to Build Confidence
It’s a bit nerve-wracking to be on stage to debate! Doing your practice beforehand can help you gain confidence. Make sure to speak in a slow, clear manner. Even if your argument may be amazing, it’s irrelevant when no one understands the message.
Debate is an excellent opportunity to improve your public speaking skills, as well as develop the ability to write and defend an argument. Consider these debate topics to find an idea on your next argument.